Coming off the success of their virtual celebration of Asian Pacific American Heritage Month, Amazon Studios has set “Amazon Studios Voices: Pride”, a one-day virtual event to close out Pride month and celebrate queer voices and representation in the media. Amazon Studios has partnered with GLAAD and Pride Media for the event which is set for June 24.
“Amazon Studios has long prioritized authentic storytelling from LGBTQIA+ talent and storytellers. After the tremendous response to our Voices: API Representation in Film and Media event last month, we want to continue driving the conversation forward around the immediate steps Hollywood can take to improve representation and positively impact the media landscape,” said Latasha Gillespie, global head of DEI for Amazon Studios and IMDb. “We are delighted to celebrate Pride by hosting our next installment of Amazon Studios Voices and invite everyone to join us in the conversation around authentic and intersectional representation of the LGBTQIA+ community on screen and behind the camera.”
Amazon Studios Voices: Pride is open to the public. You can register for the event online at https://dei.amazonstudios.com/
Read the schedule of events below.
9:00-9:10 AM PT | Welcome & Kickoff
Latasha Gillespie, Head of Global DEI Amazon Studios, Prime Video, and IMDb
9:10-9:25 AM PT | Trans Day of Visibility Video
A video from Amazon Studios Trans Day of Visibility earlier this year which highlighted several cast members of the Amazon Original Transparent who join Amazon employees in reflection on authenticity, community and joy. This is a tribute to the visibility of the trans community.
9:30-10:00 AM PT | “My Name is Pauli Murray” Panel
Directors Julie Cohen, Betsy West and activist Dolores Chandler discuss the legacy of the civil rights activist who inspired the likes of Rosa Parks and Ruth Bader Ginsberg, Pauli Murray. They are joined by Tracy Gilchrist (Editor-in-Chief, The Advocate) in celebrating Murray’s life and the love letter that is the new Amazon Original documentary, My Name is Pauli Murray.
- Betsy West, Director of My Name is Pauli Murray
- Dolores Chandler, Equity Facilitator & Trainer at Build from the Heart, featured in My Name is Pauli Murray
- Julie Cohen, Director of My Name is Pauli Murray
- Moderator: Tracy Gilchest, Editor in Chief of The Advocate
10:05-10:45 AM PT | Lightning Talks – 10 minutes each
These short lightning talks will dive into specific areas of queer spaces – providing brief histories on their past, where these spaces are now, and recommendations on how our audience can get involved.
- Krit Fanene Schmidt, Writer / Host / Consultant / Advocate For Change, on Pacifica Pride: A lens on Pacific Islander Culture of Queerness
- Monica Transendes, Director of Programs, Spanish-Language and Latinx Media at GLAAD, on Queer Representation on Film in LATAM
- Tre Borden, Principal of Tre Borden / Co., on Impact of Contemporary Queer Artists of Color
10:50-11:35 AM PT| “The Writer’s Roundtable”
An insightful discussion about how being a member of the community informs their work about representation inside and outside of the writer’s room.
- Eli Wilson Pelton, Co-Producer on With Love
- Will Graham, Co-Creator and Executive Producer for A League of Their Own
- Moderator: Vernon Sanders, Co-Head of Television, Amazon Studios
11:40-12:10 PM PT| “Stage to Screen” – The Great Way
A lively conversation about the upcoming film adaptation of the award-winni ng hit musical from London’s West End Everybody’s Talking About Jamie. Breakout star Max Harwood and Director Jonathan Butterell join Out Editor-in-Chief Daniel Reynolds to discuss this heartwarming story about a teenager who dreams of life on stage, LGBTQIA+ representation on screen and what they hope this inspiring film will mean to global audiences.
- Jonathan Butterell, Director of Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
- Max Hardwood, Actor starring in Everybody’s Talking About Jamie
- Moderator: Daniel Reynolds, Editor-in-Chief of Out Magazine
11:35- 11:45 AM PT | THANK YOU & TAKEAWAYS
Latasha Gillespie & Vernon Sanders
11:45 – 12:05 PM PT | ENTERTAINMENT
It’s a fact – you can’t have Pride without Drag Queens! Join us for exclusive performances from some of our favorite Drag Queens to close out this wonderful event in celebration of all things LGBTQIA! Guests will enjoy performances from some of their favorite Drag Queens including Kandy Muse, LaLa Ri, and Manila Luzon.