‘Vida’s Tanya Saracho Sets Feature Directorial Debut; Lance Reddick Returns To ‘John Wick’; Adele Lim To Direct Comedy With ‘Girls 5eva’s Ashley Park
by Team Diaspora | Jul 9, 2021 | Culture, News |
- Vida‘s Tanya Saracho is teaming with Anonymous Content to make her feature directorial debut with an adaptation of her 2014 play off-Broadway play, Mala Hierba.
- Lance Reddick will return to the bone-breaking, action-packed world of John Wick for the upcoming sequel, reprising his his role as New York’s Continental Hotel concierge Charon.
- Raya and the Last Dragon writer Adele Lim is making moves and will sit in the director’s chair for the first time for an untitled R-rated comedy at Lionsgate and Point Grey Pictures starring Girls 5eva actress Ashley Park. Here for it.
- Uzo Aduba continues her reign as an actor who turns it out. The In Treatment star will lead the cast of Netflix’s upcoming limited opiod crisis series Painkiller.
- A Quiet Place phenom Millicent Simmonds is set to star and executive producer the TV adaptation of Sara Nović’s forthcoming book True Biz – a coming-of-age story of a Deaf teenage girl.
- Kumail Nanjiani is set to executive produce and star in the FX limited series Homeland Elegies based on the book from Pulitzer Prize-winning author Ayad Akhtar. The series blends fact and fiction to tell an epic story of identity and belonging in post-Trump America. Part family drama, part social essay, part picaresque novel, at its heart it is the story of a father, a son, and the country they both call home.
- RIP to the wonderful actress Suzzanne Douglas, who is best known for her work on The Parent ‘Hood.
- Lovecraft Country might have been canceled but the creator of the sci-fi thriller Misha Green continues to move ahead as she has signed an overall deal with Apple to create and develop small screen projects for streamer AppleTV+ worldwide.
- John Boyega stays working even though some people are tryna blacklist him from bowing out of his last project due to issues that are none of our business. Boyega is set to star in the indie drama 892.
- Devon Terrell is joining Aida Osman and Kamillion in HBO Max’s comedy series Rap Sh*t from Issa Rae.
- Power couple Will Smith and Jada Pinkett Smith’s Westbrook Inc. have entered into a strategic partnership with Yasushi Akimoto’s Akimoto Project. They are currently developing the feature The Elephant’s Back with several television projects on the horizon.
- Order in the court! Zoey’s Extraordinary Playlist actor Kapil Talwalkar is joining NBC’s half-hour pilot of the Night Court revival which also stars Melissa Rauch and returning cast member John Larroquette.
- Shonda Rhimes is growing her Shondaland empire as she extends her exclusive deal with streaming giant Netflix.
- Saban Films has acquired rights to the revenge thriller Soul Assassin starring Nomzamo Mbatha.
- 50 Cent is about to enter the world of hip-hop reality competition. The rapper is developing the unscripted series Unrapped at ABC.
- Henry Simmons and Joy Bryant have been tapped to star in season 2 of OWN and Ava DuVernay’s anthology drama series Cherish the Day.
- Abby Ajayi will write the adaptation of the novel Bedroom Window for Studiocanal and The Picture Company.
- Tyrese Gibson has joined the L.A. riots thriller April 29, 1992.
- Making moves! Warner Bros. Television has added former Rainforest Entertainment head of development Mitzi Miller and former Monkeypaw Productions development executive Jonathan Harris as Vice Presidents of Drama Development.