Byron Wu‘s soapy family action comedy drama The Brothers Sun is starting to take shape as future Oscar winner and overall icon Michelle Yeoh is set to star alongside Justin Chien (Two Sides: Unfaithful, Disney Television Discovers Talent Showcase 2021), Sam Song Li (Better Call Saul, Take The Night), Highdee Kuan (Fear The Night, This Is Us), and Joon Lee (Neh, Dated).
The Brothers Sun is a series is set in Los Angeles and Taiwan –and it features an all-Asian writers room and all-Asian cast.
The eight-episode series follows Taipei gangster, Charles Sun (Chien), who’s settled into his life as a ruthless killer. But when his father is shot by a mysterious assassin, Charles must go to L.A. to protect his mother (Yeoh) and utterly-unaware younger brother Bruce (Li).
Read the character descriptions below.
- Michelle Yeoh will play “Eileen Sun” aka “Mama Sun.” She is described as “shrewd and observant”. She has built a new life for herself and her son in Los Angeles far from her past in Taiwan.
- Justin Chien will play “Charles Sun.” Charles grew up the elder son of a crime boss, groomed to be a hardened criminal. He goes to Los Angeles to protect his mother and younger brother but finds himself torn between the life he’s been raised in and the life he could make for himself.
- Sam Song Li steps into the role of“Bruce Sun.” Bruce came to the states as a kid with little memory of Taipei and no idea of his family’s past. When his infamous and respected brother shows up on his doorstep, Bruce is thrown into a world that he is vastly unprepared for.
- Highdee Kuan is set to play “Alexis.” She is described as “driven and ambitious”. She grew up with a strong sense of justice and work ethic which resulted in her becoming an assistant DA.
- Joon Lee will play “TK,” an aspiring gangster and Bruce’s best friend since childhood. He wishes he was tough, loyal, and smart – but he isn’t. But that doesn’t stop him from trying.
In addition, the series have built a roster of recurring roles which include Alice Hewkin (The Crown, Sex Education) as “May/June,” Jon Xue Zhang (Marvel’s Eternals, The Gentleman) as “Blood Boots,” Jenny Yang (Busy Tonight with Busy Philipps) as “Xing,” Madison Hu (The Boogeyman, Bizaarvark) as “Grace” and Rodney To (Easter Sunday, Parks & Recreation) as “Mark.”
The Brothers Sun is under Brad Falchuk’s deal at Netflix, through his company Brad Falchuk Teley-Vision. He will serve as Showrunner and Co-Creator with Wu. Falchuk and Wu serve as Executive Producers with Mikkel Bondesen and Kevin Tancharoen who is also on board as Director.